The human respiratory system is an intricate network of organs that works continuously to ensure a constant flow of oxygen. Unfortunately, respiratory infections can cause this complex system to malfunction and throw off its harmonious rhythm.
Symptoms of Respiratory Infections
A broad spectrum of diseases affecting the lungs and airways are referred to as respiratory infections. Typical signs and symptoms include:
- Coughing: A chronic cough that frequently produces phlegm
- Shortness of Breath: Difficulty breathing or breathlessness
- Chest Pain: Discomfort in the chest.
- Fever: Elevated body temperature
- Fatigue: An extreme state of exhaustion or lethargic
- Nasal Discomfort: Runny or stuffy nose
- Sore Throat: Painful or irritated throat
Causes of Respiratory Infections
- Air pollution and smoking: Toxins from smoking and air pollution harm the alveoli in the lungs (alveolar membrane). As a result, oxygen cannot be appropriately dissolved into the blood. The patients consequently feel uncomfortable and have breathing difficulties.
- Allergies: Certain substances, such as dust, pollen, or animal dander, cause people’s immune systems to react adversely. People with allergies have trouble breathing when they are around certain allergens.
- Viral Infection: Viral infections are a major cause of respiratory illnesses. Certain viruses, including respiratory adenoviruses, respiratory syncytial viruses, and influenza viruses, can penetrate alveoli and cause inflammation.
- Bacterial Infection: Bacteria can also cause respiratory conditions such as sinusitis, pneumonia, and otitis media.
The following are additional respiratory conditions that may cause respiratory diseases:
- Trauma to the chest and the ensuing haemorrhage
- Infections in the chest and abdomen
- Autoimmune or inflammatory disorders
Prevention of Respiratory Infection
- Use masks in public places
- Cover your nose and mouth when you cough or sneeze.
- Wash your hands frequently with soap
Treatment for Respiratory Infections
You can control respiratory infections by adopting a healthy lifestyle. Seek a balanced diet and make time for physical activities such as walking and working out. To reduce your risk of developing any form of respiratory issues, make sure you stop smoking very often. In case you or your loved ones are suffering from any of these conditions, you may consult Regency Multi Super Specialty Hospital which offers treatments such as:
- Medications: To treat inflammation in respiratory organs, the doctors suggest some medications to ensure your recovery
- Pulmonary Rehabilitation: During pulmonary rehabilitation, doctors assist patients with a variety of techniques and exercises. The oxygen levels in their bodies improve for patients who follow these instructions.
- Supplemental Oxygen: Individuals with severe respiratory problems need a steady supply of oxygen at home. Sometimes they just need additional oxygen after they’ve exerted themselves.
- Surgery: Patients with pleural effusions and COPD, among other respiratory disorders, require surgery. Surgery is used to remove the area of the lungs affected by these conditions.
Respiratory diseases are more contagious in people with cardiovascular conditions. Regency Multi Super Specialty Hospital works towards pulmonary health and providing critical care to patients. They ensure personalized care and support to patients which helps to overcome respiratory disease and other pulmonary infections. Regency Multi Super Specialty Hospital goes above and beyond by offering a variety of facilities and services due to its expertise in respiratory infections and other pulmonology diseases.