Lung cancer is said to be the most widespread type of cancer in the world. As per the WHO, lung cancer alone was responsible for 1.7 million deaths in 2015. But did you know lung cancer is not just of one type. Most of the times, the type of treatment is decided on the basis of the kind of lung cancer one is suffering from.
Here are the types of lung cancer you need to be aware of:
- Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer (NSCLC) – It the most prevalent type of lung cancer. It constitutes to almost 80% to 85 % of the cases but spreads slowly to the other parts of the body. It further has the following subtypes based on the location of the origin of the cancer cells-
- Adenocarcinomas – this type of cancer develops in the lining of the lungs (therefore having a better prognosis rate in comparison to the other types of lung cancer) and is said to occur more commonly among women.
- Squamous cell carcinomas – this type mostly originates in the central part of the bronchi.
- Small Cell Lung Cancer (SCLC) – These cancer cells are comparatively smaller than the other cancer cells. Though the cells might be small in size, but this cancer spreads very quickly, thus making it the most dangerous type of lung cancer. It is very aggressive, has a strong link to smoking and requires immediate medical attention. Although, only 15%-20% of lung cancer cases are of this variant.
- Lung Carcinoid Tumors – This type starts in the Neuroendocrine cells – cells responsible for the lungs’ growth and blood and airflow. It is further classified into the following –
- Typical carcinoids – Even non-smokers are at a risk of developing this type of lung cancer. It progresses very slowly and is mostly confined within the lungs itself.
- Atypical carcinoids – Between the two subtypes, this one is rarer but spreads more speedily. It is said to be more prominent among smokers.
- Mesothelioma – this mainly results from too much exposure to asbestos. The differentiating aspect of this type of lung cancer is that its origin point is not only within the lungs but also in the lining of the neighboring areas like the heart and the abdomen.
Whatever may be the type of lung cancer, early detection is crucial for successful treatment. If you smoke or frequently visit construction sites or have a cough lasting more than 8 weeks; then get yourself screened today. Choose Kanpur’s no. 1 hospital – Regency Healthcare – for accurate diagnosis and expert consultation. Book your appointment now.