Did you know, about 70% of the causes of cancer are avoidable? Yes, there may not be a 100% guaranteed way of completely preventing the disease but you can surely reduce the risk.
Here are the ultimate ways to prevent cancer:
- Things to avoid under all circumstances:
- Staying away from this one product can keep you away from cancer of the lungs, oral cavity, throat, larynx, pancreas, bladder, and kidneys. This cancer-causing agent is tobacco.
- No or very limited alcohol intake can help to prevent mouth, throat, liver, colon, rectal, breast, pancreas and stomach cancers.
- Abstaining from unprotected sex with unknown and multiple partners safeguards you from contracting HPV (Human papillomavirus) infection which can increase the risk of cancer of the cervix, anus, throat, and genitals.
- Avoid direct sunlight, especially from 10 in the morning to 4 P.M., when the rays are the most harmful. Always use a sunscreen, shades, and clothes-that-cover to keep skin cancer at bay. Tanning beds shouldn’t be used for the same reason.
- Exclude high-glycemic foods – sugary foods, processed/ packaged foods, and fatty fried foods especially to reduce the chances of gastric-related cancers.
- Drugs, especially intravenous drugs that require one to share needles to be avoided. The practice can lead to hepatitis B and C which shoots up the risk of liver cancer.
- Stop storing water in and drinking from plastic bottles. The BPA and other chemicals from the plastic can contaminate the water to the extent of it increases the risk of cancer.
- Don’t consume processed, grilled and charred meats. They contain cancer-causing heterocyclic amines.
- Limit hormonal treatments to reduce breast cancer risk.
- Healthy habits for keeps:
- Dividing your meal into portions – 25% whole grains, 25% proteins, and 50% vegetables and fruits – can prove to be helpful not just in preventing cancer but also keeping diabetes, hypertension and heart disease at bay. The effects are better if you opt for clean foods or organic options that are free from chemicals
- Make eating cruciferous veggies (cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, etc.) and garlic a regular affair.
- Apart from nutritious and conscious eating, consuming low-sodium foods and exercising for at least 150 minutes per week is required to keep your weight in check. No obesity is equal to preventing many forms of cancers including that of the thyroid, ovaries, and gallbladder as well.
- Drinking coffee (preferably black) is said to reduce brain cancer by 40%.
- Consuming 2 to 3 liters of water daily helps flush out a lot of toxins including a few cancer-causing ones.
- The more you breastfeed, the more you’ll be protected from breast cancer.
These habits are only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to cancer prevention. For a personalized and thorough understanding of ways to prevent this fatal disease, consult a reputed doctor today. Visit Regency HealthCare because we believe that health is not just about curing but also about caring.